As National Walking Month comes to an end I’ve stumbled across the line with just a few hours to go in my challenge to walk an average of a mile a day with my kids.
Thankfully I front-ended the challenge as I struggled towards the end of the month as competing priorities stole some of my time. Plus Barnsley FC’s successful play off challenge got in the way too.
Here’s how it happened:
# Miles 1-4: Quick couple of circuits around Pugney’s Country Park with Alex and Chris. 27m to go.
# Miles 4-6: A quick walk around Shibden Park with Alex and Chris. 25m to go.
# Miles 6-7.5: A cheeky walk around the block after school with Alex and Chris. 23.5m to go.
# Miles 7.5-10: A walk to town and back with Alex. 21m to go.
# Miles 10-11: A walk around Greenhead Park with Alex. 20m to go.
# Miles 11-19: Wanderings around Whitby and to Saltwick Nab and back. 12m to go.
# Miles 19-21: A walk with Boo and Radley (and Alex, Debbie and Chris). Our new doggy-friends from BorrowADoggy.com. 10m to go.
# Miles 21-23: A walk in the park with Alex, plus our walk to and from the Barnsley game. 8m to go
# Miles 23-25: A walk with just Radley this time (and Alex, Debbie and Chris). 6m to go.
# Miles 25-28: A wander around Digley Res with Alex and Chris. 3m to go.
# Miles 28-30: Walking around Barnsley watching the Open Top Bus Tour celebrating Barnsley FC’s promotion to The Championship. 1m to go.
# Miles 30-31: A walk with Boo and Radley again (and Alex, Debbie and Chris. DONE
I’m now considering extending my challenge out to the rest of the year.
215 days. 215 miles to walk with these two fellas. Gotta be do-able!
My Facebook Memories App kicked in this morning to remind me that it was four years today that I did my first and, to date, only National Three Peaks Challenge.
It took over 30 hours, but I did raise nearly £3k for a Children’s Charity I-CAN.
It seems so much longer than 4 years ago and was a day of ecstasy and agony. The ecstasy I remember, but the agony I’ve probably forgotten… which is probably why I’m down to do the Challenge again in 5 weeks time… Eeeek!!!
Today the hills were totally alive with the sound of music, if only directly into my head via the magic of Spotify and my iPhone.
You might be wondering why I was in the Peak District singing to a load of sheep at 6.30am this morning. Nope it wasn’t a night out gone terribly wrong or just a normal night out for a Yorkshire lad.
Here are some of my thoughts on how to make going walking with kids more of a pleasure and less of a pain. I’ve got two boys, aged 8 and 12 when I wrote this, and we walk regularly – whether it’s a few miles around a country park or a longer 6-8 miler around The Pennines or the Peak District. To be honest the majority of this is common-sense and a lot will apply whether you are walking alone, with your pals or with your family.
Back on familiar pastures (the Hope Valley) this week after a Derwent Edge walk with ‘The Walking Dan’ last weekend. I was, once again, walking with the crowd from Freshwalks.co.uk. And what a crowd it was as almost 30-strong team of us set out from Edale on a beautiful Spring Friday morning.
So, 10 days in and I’m 19 miles into my 31 miles challenge for National Walking Month (May 2016).
That is – to ‘Walk A Mile A Day In May… with my Kids’.
Someone said to me at a party recently that I don’t always go walking with my kids, so am I truly always ‘The Walking Dad’.
It was a bit of a pedantic (slash drunk) comment, so he got a pedantic (slash drunkier) reply which was ‘well… I’m still a Dad, even when the kids aren’t with me – so ‘YES’, I’m 100% ‘The Walking Dad’.
Walks collided these past few days with an already committed to walk clashing with a hastily arranged business networking walk, plus the usual Sunday jaunt with the boys too. I’m thinking of changing my name to Walky McWalkface! Good training though as the spectre of the National Three Peak Challenge looms large.
This week started on a high with me putting a big fat beautiful tick next to one of the items on my bucket list and finished with a walk up my least favourite hill – Bleaklow.
There’s a number of undeniable truths that walkers hear all the time. One of them being ‘there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate gear’. It’s probably 90% true, with the other 10% suggesting that the baddest mo-fo’ing weather will challenge the hardiness of any gear – appropriate or not.
A couple of walks at the beginning and end of Dec 2015 made me wholly reconsider the walking gear I had and challenge my aim to stick to planned walks.